In this tutorial, I’ll show you how to install Plex on FireStick, how to sign up for a Plex account, and how to set up a Plex server on your computer.
Plex is a client-server media tool that lets you access all of your media stored in a central location from different devices. Let me give you an example to help you understand. You can set up a media server on your computer with Plex. You can use client apps for FireStick, Mobiles, Tablets, TV Boxes, and Computers to access all the videos, music, and pictures on your computer’s hard drive.
Almost every device that can play media has a client app for Plex. The official app stores are where you can get the client app. For example, you can get the app for Android from the Google Play Store. You can get a FireStick from the Amazon Store.
The best thing about Plex is that the server (your computer) and clients (like a FireStick or mobile device) don’t have to be connected to the same wireless network. You can leave your computer at home and still watch the videos on the hard drive from your friend’s house on your phone.
Important!! When you try to connect to your computer remotely through the client app, your computer must be on and connected to the internet.
Plex, on the other hand, doesn’t have to only play the media on your computer (server). There are both official and unofficial Plex channels that give you access to different online media. All connected clients can use these channels because they are installed on the server.
Also, some online content is included in the Plex client app. Even if you are not connected to the Plex server, you can still stream this content. In other words, it has nothing to do with the server.
How to Install Plex on a FireStick
Sign up for an account if you don’t already have one before you install Plex on your FireStick. First, let’s make a Plex account.
Create an account on Plex.
Here’s what to do:
1. Go to https://www.plex.tv on your computer or phone (you can also use a browser that works with FireStick, such as Silk Browser or Firefox) and click on the “Play” button. Sign Up
2. You can sign up with your existing Google, Facebook, or Apple credentials or create a new account with an email address.
3. Once you are signed in, you can buy one of the Plex Pass plans for extra benefits. The prices are $4.99 a month, $39.99 a year, and $119.99 for life. We will talk about the benefits of buying a Plex Pass later on in this guide.
Note: You don’t have to buy a Plex Pass to keep using the site.
This is how you create a Plex account.
Steps to install Plex on FireStick
Now, I’ll show you how to install Plex on a FireStick. You can get it at the Amazon App Store. What you need to do is:
1. The FireStick Search button is in the middle of the home screen (after selecting Find)
2. Type in Plex and click on it in the search results. You can also say the voice command by holding down the Alexa button on your remote.
3. Click on the Plex app icon in the section for Apps & Games.
4. Go ahead and click on Get (or if you have downloaded it before, click Download instead)
5. Wait for the FireStick to download and install the Plex app
6. Once Plex is installed, click Open to run it.
How to Install Plex on Android TV OS & Android TV Box
There are two kinds of Android TV boxes: ones with the stock Android OS and ones with the real Android TV OS. They are the same and different in some ways.
Both support Google Play services, which is something they have in common. From the Google Play Store, you can download apps. Plex can be downloaded from the Google Play Store.
Here are the steps to install Plex on an Android TV box, which works pretty much the same way on both:
1. Go to the Play Store on Google
2. Find Plex by typing it in or using voice command (if supported)
3. When Plex shows up in the search results, click on it.
4. Pick Install
5. Click “Open” to launch the app
How to set up and use Plex on FireStick and Android TV Box
If you have a FireStick, you can run the app from the section called Your Apps & Channels. Hold down the Home button on your Amazon FireStick remote for a few seconds, then click Apps on the pop-up menu to see all the apps you’ve installed.
If you have an Android TV box, Plex is in the “Apps” section.
Note: The Plex app looks the same on both the FireStick and real Android TV OS boxes. It might be a little different on stock Android TV boxes. Overall, though, it’s pretty much the same.
Now, do the following:
1. This window appears the first time you run the app: (the interface may change, but you will always find the Sign-Up or Sign In options).
I’m going to assume that you have already signed up. So, click Sign In
Note: You can keep going if you click “Skip” or “Continue as Guest,” but I recommend making an account and signing in.
2. A code appears on the screen of your FireStick.
You can also use your Amazon account to log in (if the option is displayed).
3. Go to https://plex.tv/link on your computer, phone, or any other device besides your FireStick and enter the code.
For the link to work, you will need to sign in with your Plex account information.
After entering the code, click the link.
4. You should see the Account Linked confirmation on your computer, phone, or any other device on which you entered the code. You can go back to FireStick now.
5. If the linking works, you will be taken to the next screen. To buy a Plex Pass, click “Subscribe.” You could pay for the purchase with one of the payment methods linked to your Amazon account.
If you do not want to buy the pass, click “Not Now.”
6. If you haven’t set up your Plex server yet, you should see the message “No Servers Found.” Setting up the server is something we will talk about later. Just click Continue for now.
7. This is the Plex app’s home screen on the FireStick after it has been set up. Even if you haven’t synchronized the app with a server, you can still stream the free content that is featured. There are web shows, videos of the news, podcasts, and more.
So, that’s about it. Here’s how to set up and use Plex on FireStick.
How to Install and Set Up Plex Server
Even though Plex has a lot of online content, it really shines when you turn your computer into a Plex server and use it as a media center. As I’ve already said, Plex is a service that works with a client and a server. It has client apps for just about every device platform you can think of, like FireStick, mobile phones, computers, etc.
But you could set up the server only on your computer (Windows, Mac, or Linux) and some other devices (like NAS) that can be used as a server.
Important!! The computer you’re using as a Plex server must stay on for client apps on FireStick or mobile devices to be able to access media.
Here’s what you do:
1. Use your computer to go to https://www.plex.tv/media-server-downloads/.
2. Choose Plex Media Server and your computer’s operating system.
Now, on the same page, click the button that says “Download.”
3. Go to the folder where you saved the installation file for the server and run it. To set up the server, follow the steps for your operating system. When I ran the file on my Windows computer, for example, the following window popped up. Now, I have to click Install and follow the on-screen instructions to set up the Plex server on my computer.
4. When the installation is finished, you should see the window below. Click on “Launch”
In a web browser, the next steps will be completed.
5. You will now be taken to a website in your computer’s default browser. If you aren’t already signed in to your Plex account, you will have to do so.
On the next screen, you’ll get a quick rundown of how Plex works. Click the “Got It!” button if you understand.
6. You will now be asked what you want to call the server. Make it something that people can relate to and recognize. Click on “Next.”
Note: If you want to access the media on the server (your computer) from outside clients (like your FireStick), make sure the box next to “Allow me to access my media outside my home” is checked.
7. You can add the media library during the setup process by clicking “Add Library.” This lets you put movies, shows, videos, music, pictures, etc. on the server and access them from other devices.
Click on “Next” to move on.
8. Click on “Done” to finish setting up the server.
Benefits of Buying Plex Premium (Plex Pass)
If all you want to do with Plex is access local media on your computer from a client device, like a FireStick, you could use it without buying a Plex Pass. But if you buy a pass, you get special perks that other people don’t get. Here’s a quick summary:
Plex has these plans available:
– $4.99 Every Month
– $39.99 Yearly
– $119.99 Lifetime
Plex is a very useful tool for organizing your media. It uses a client-server architecture to give you access to media both on your computer and online. By setting up a server on your computer, you can access locally stored media from anywhere with an internet connection, whether you are at home or away. You can install Plex channels on your server computer so that all of your client apps can stream online media from it. The FireStick doesn’t have a lot of storage space. With Plex on FireStick, you can use your computer’s media without taking up storage space. All in all, it is a very useful tool.
Legal Disclaimer: FireStickTips.com does not check the legality or safety of any add-ons, apps, or services mentioned on this site. Also, we don’t promote, host or link streams with copy protection. We are very against piracy, and we tell our readers to stay away from it at all costs. When we talk about free streaming on our site, we only mean content that is in the Public domain and doesn’t have any copyrights. Read the whole thing.
FireStickTips.com is a blog that is paid for by its readers. If you buy something after clicking on a link on our site, we may get a commission. Find out more.