In this guide, I’ll show you how to install Stremio on FireStick, Fire TV, Fire Stick 4K, Fire Stick Lite, and Android TV Boxes.
Stremio is a media streaming service that lets you watch movies, TV shows, and many other types of online content. This service works on many different kinds of devices, like computers, phones, TVs, and more. It may not be available through official channels on some devices, though.
For example, you can get Stremio from the official Google Play Store on Android phones and Android TV boxes with stock Android OS. On the other hand, it needs to be manually installed (sideloaded) on FireStick and Android TV Boxes with Android TV OS (such as Mi Box and Nvidia Shield)
Stremio is a simple app that is a lot easier to use than Kodi. But it might not be as useful. It doesn’t matter that much because I can watch pretty much anything I want. Also, add-ons for Stremio are installed online, not on the local storage. This is good news for devices like FireStick and most Android TV Boxes that don’t have a lot of storage space. Also, online installation means that I only need to install a Stremio add-on on one of my devices to have it work on all of them.
Let’s get started with the process of installing.
How to Install Stremio on FireStick
Even though Stremio is on the Google Play Store, it is not on the Amazon Store. So, this app will need to be sideloaded onto your FireStick and other Fire TV devices, including the new FireStick 4K Max. Sideloading is the process of installing the app by hand. But it won’t be hard because I’ll help you do it.
Installing the Downloader app, which is a tool for sideloading on FireStick, is the first thing you need to do. You can’t get Stremio APK straight from your web browser.
I’ve shortened the steps below, but you can read our guide on how to use the Downloader app on FireStick to see the full steps and learn more about it.
1. You can get the Downloader app from the Amazon Store. You can use the Find > Search button on the home screen to look it up.
2. Look for the Downloader app and put it on your phone.
3. Go to your FireStick’s home screen and choose Settings from the menu.
4. Click My Fire TV now.
5. You should now see this list of choices. Click Options for developers.
6. Click Install apps from unknown sources.
Note: If you see “Apps from Unknown Sources,” turn that on and skip step 7 below.
7. Make the Downloader app work.
With the steps above, your FireStick is now ready for the Stremio installation. Let’s get started with the process of installing.
Steps to Install Stremio on a FireStick
Here are the steps you need to take to get the Stremio app on your FireStick.
1. Start the app Downloader.
2. Click the field for the URL.
3. Type https://strem.io into the address bar and click Go.
4. When the page loads, click the bottom button that says “Got it.”
5. Now, click the icon with three lines.
6. Go to the bottom of the page and click “DOWNLOADS” from the drop-down menu.
7. On the next page, scroll down to the Android section and click the Stremio ARM APK.
Note: With new updates, the version number may change.
8. Wait for the APK file for Stremio to download. This takes less than a minute most of the time, but it depends on how fast your network is.
9. When the APK has been downloaded, the installation window will show up. Click Setup.
10. The installation should take no more than a minute.
11. Don’t click OPEN yet after the app is installed. Click DONE and then go back to the Downloader app.
12. Just click the Delete button. We are getting rid of the APK file because it is no longer needed. Getting rid of it will free up space on your FireStick.
13. Press Delete once more.
You have set up Stremio on FireStick correctly. Read on to find out how to use Stremio on your device.
How to Use Stremio on a FireStick
Now that you’ve put Stremio on your Fire TV Stick, you should learn how to get the most out of it.
But before you use Stremio, I want to let you know that your ISP and the government can see everything you stream online. This means that you might get in trouble with the law if you stream free movies, TV shows, and sports.
There is a foolproof way to keep your ISP and the government from knowing what you do when you stream. You just need a VPN for Fire Stick that works well. A VPN lets you avoid Online Surveillance, ISP throttling, and content restrictions based on where you are in the world.
ExpressVPN is the fastest and safest VPN, and I use it and recommend it. It works well with Stremio and is easy to set up on Fire TV/Stick.
We don’t want people to break copyright laws. But what if you accidentally stream content from a source that isn’t legitimate? It’s not always easy to tell the difference between a legal source and an illegal one.
So, before you use your Stremio on your Fire Stick, let’s look at how to use ExpressVPN to hide your streaming activities from people who don’t want to see them.
Step 1: CLICK HERE to sign up for ExpressVPN. You can get your money back in 30 days. This means you can use it for free for the first 30 days, and if you’re not happy with how it works (which is very unlikely), you can get your money back in full.
Step 2: Turn on your Fire TV or Fire TV Stick and go to “Search” on the far left. Now, type “ExpressVPN” without the quotes into the search bar and choose “ExpressVPN” from the list of results.
Step 3: Click “Get” or “Download” to put the ExpressVPN app on your Fire TV or Stick.
Step 4: Open the app and log in with the username and password you created when you bought the ExpressVPN subscription. Click “Sign in”
Step 5: To connect to a VPN server, click the Power icon. So, that’s it. Your connection is now safe with the fastest and best VPN for FireStick.
You can also read more information about how to use ExpressVPN with Fire TV/Stick.
Now that you’ve made sure your Fire TV/Stick is safe, you can use Stremio. In the next part of this guide, you’ll learn how to install Stremio on an Android TV Box. But you can skip right to the part where I explain how to use it on your device.
How to Install Stremio on an Android TV Box
If you have an Android Box that runs on the stock Android OS (the same one used in Android phones), you can install Stremio directly from the Google Play Store.
If you have an Android Box with a true TV Android OS, like the Mi Box or the Nvidia Shield, you will need to sideload the Stremio app because it is not on the Google Play Store. To set up Stremio, we will use the Downloader app.
Here’s what you need to do to sideload Stremio onto an Android TV Box:
1. Go to Google Play (if it is not on the home screen, run it from the app drawer by clicking the Apps icon on the left)
2. Use aftvnews to search the Play Store for the Downloader app (you may not find it by typing the name of the Downloader app)
3. When you see Downloader in the search results, click on it.
4. In the next window, click “Install.”
5. Click Open to start Downloader (you may also run it from the app drawer by accessing the Apps section)
6. Click “Allow” when the Downloader app asks for permission to access files and media.
7. Click OK when asked to do so (it appears only the first time you run Downloader).
8. Type in the following URL and click Go: https://www.firesticktricks.com/st
9. Wait while the Downloader app puts the Stremio APK file on the storage of your Android Box.
10. If you haven’t made it possible for the Downloader to be installed from unknown sources, the following message will appear. Click Settings.
11. Turn on the switch next to Downloader and press the back button on your remote.
12. Click the Install button.
13. In this window, click INSTALL again.
14. Once Stremio is installed on your Android Box, let’s get rid of the Stremio APK file from the storage. Click DONE.
15. Click Delete.
16. Press Delete once more.
17. Let’s open the Stremio app now. The apps you added from the side are not shown in your app drawer. So, you can’t use the Apps section to get to Stremio. Click on Settings instead.
18. Choose “Apps.”
19. Move down the page and click on the Stremio app.
20. Click Open to run Stremio on an Android TV Box.
How to Sign Up for Stremio
Signing up is, in fact, very easy. You can sign up on a computer, a mobile device, or even a FireStick. On most devices, the screen for signing up or logging in looks like this:
You can sign up for a Stremio account in two ways. The first way is to sign in with Facebook and use your Facebook credentials to prove who you are. This way, you won’t have to sign up for anything.
This is the least private way to stream because your logs will be linked to your Facebook account. Signing up with Facebook is fine if you don’t plan to use any third-party Stremio add-ons. But if you want to use these add-ons, sign up with your email address instead.
When used with a VPN, signing up for an email account will help you keep your privacy and anonymity. Remember the following things:
- Use a new email address to sign up for Stremio. You don’t want your streaming activities to be linked to an email address that can be used to find you.
- Keep the VPN on while making the new email address.
The process of signing up for email is very quick and easy. Just type in your email address and choose a password. Yes, you got it! So, this is how you can start. There’s no need to even confirm your email address.
Sign up, then use your email address and password to log in.
How to Use Stremio on FireStick & Android TV Box
This is the app’s main screen, which opens to the Board section by default. Here is where you can find the Most Recent and Most Recommended content.
Click the hamburger menu icon in the top left corner of the Stremio FireStick interface to find out more. When you click on the “Discover” category, it opens up into Movies, Series, Channels, and TV Channels.
When you click on a category, you can see what content is in that category. If you choose “Movies,” for example, Stremio will take you to the page about movies. Here, you can use Catalogs or Genres to sort and filter the movies. Here are some of the categories you can use to sort movies in the Catalog:
– By Year
– By Rating
In the Genre category, you can filter by popular genres like Action, Adventure, Animation, Documentary, Crime, etc.
The movies and shows you have marked as favorites will be in the My Library section of the Stremio FireStick app. The app can also work with Trakt. The synced items from Trakt will also show up in My Library.
Now we’ll talk about the most important part of the Stremio app, which is called “Add-ons.” It’s at the bottom of the menu that drops down. Add-ons are what allow you to stream content. Without the add-ons, you can’t do that.
I’ve made a whole new section below to help you understand Stremio Add-ons.
How to Install Addons on Stremio
Just like with Kodi, you need addons to watch the content you want. But, unlike Kodi, Stremio add-ons are installed online instead of on your local storage.
This is a great way to set up FireStick and Android TV Boxes, which don’t have a lot of storage space. You can add as many add-ons as you want without worrying about space.
The other benefit of installing Stremio add-ons online is that you only have to do it once on one device. They will then be available on all the devices where you use Stremio with the same account. The clear downside is that Stremio can see everything you do when you stream. Because of this, it is important to use Stremio with a VPN.
There are two kinds of add-ons for Stremio:
With community add-ons, you can stream free movies and TV shows. These are the third-party add-ons made by developers who work on their own. This guide will be about the Community add-ons.
As I write this guide, Juan Carlos 2, Popcorn Time, and RARBG are the most-used Community add-ons for Stremio. Here are the steps to install the addons you want:
1. On the main screen of Stremio, click the menu icon in the upper left corner and choose Add-ons from the dropdown.
2. You’ll see that the addons are sorted by “Official” by default. Click the category and choose Community from the list.
Note: You can also sort add-ons by what kind of content they have. You can sort by Movies, Series, Channels, or Others by clicking the first menu where it says “All.”
3. Scroll down the list of categories until you find the add-on you want to install and click “Install.”
4. If this message comes up, click Install again.
5. In a few seconds, you’ll see the message “Add-on Installed.”
So, that’s it! You can now stream your favorite shows and movies with Stremio on FireStick. Go back to where you clicked “Community” on the menu. Click Installed instead this time. The screen will show you all of the addons you have installed.
How to Start Streaming with Stremio on FireStick & Android TV Box
Once the add-ons are installed, you are ready to stream. It’s very easy to get started. Here’s what to do:
1. Pick what you want to watch, like a movie or episode.
2. Stremio will start looking for the links to the streaming services now. Once the links are found, they are put in a row on the right. Click on a link to stream your favorite content and start watching it. As I said, it’s very simple.
Stremio is without a doubt one of the best streaming services you can use online right now. This app makes it easy to stream your favorite movies, shows, live TV, and just about anything else. It might not be as flexible as Kodi, but it’s much easier to use. Even though there are only a few good add-ons, you still have enough to watch what you want.
The thing I like most about Stremio is that you can install add-ons online. This saves space on your devices with limited storage. Also, you only have to install the addon once, and it will work on all of your devices. One of the best alternatives to Kodi is also Stremio.
Legal Disclaimer: FireStickTips.com does not check the legality or safety of any add-ons, apps, or services mentioned on this site. Also, we don’t promote, host or link streams with copy protection. We are very against piracy, and we tell our readers to stay away from it at all costs. When we talk about free streaming on our site, we only mean content that is in the Public domain and doesn’t have any copyrights. Read the whole thing.
FireStickTips.com is a blog that is paid for by its readers. If you buy something after clicking on a link on our site, we may get a commission. Find out more.